3 new citations for WoH to be unveiled on Sat of reunion weekend
Bringing the total to 27 citations since the opening in 2009
The Class of 1963, as their gift to the College upon entry into the Old Brigade in 2009, created and donated to RMC, a Wall of Honour to recognize ex-cadets of the Royal Military Colleges (RMC, RRMC, CMR) and others with College numbers for outstanding achievements and contributions to Canada or the world.
Three Wall of Honour Honorees – 2016
This year’s three selections cover the army, air force, political community and business leader par excellence.
1596 Lt Gen Guy Simonds is generally recognized as one of Canada’s most distinguished soldiers of World War Two.
H15200 Gilles Lamontagne, who was a POW after his Wellington bomber was shot down over Germany, had a long and influential career as a political leader and defence advisor.
7771 Jim Leech, although from a military family, made his mark as a creative business leader, ending his career as the CEO of the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, whose structure and performance improved markedly under his stewardship.
Jim Leech will speak at the induction ceremony to be held: 2PM Saturday afternoon on Reunion Weekend.
The Wall of Honour is six feet eight inches high and 132 feet long. It is located on Verite Drive (the previous roadway running behind the Commandant’s house to Rideout Row), which is the main path for cadets proceeding to and from the College sports facilities
Previous RMC Wall of Honour Citations (24)
- 13 Major-General A.B. Perry, CMG, ADC
- 943 Air Marshal William Avery “Billy” Bishop VC, CB, DSO & Bar, MC, DFC, ED
- 1681 Honourable Walter L. Gordon, PC, CC, CBE, FCA, LLD
- 1800 Hartland de Montarville Molson, OC, OBE, OQ, DCL, FCA
- 3528 General Paul D. Manson, OC, CMM, CD
- 1032 Lieutenant-General Eedson Louis Millard “Tommy” Burns CC, DSO, OBE, MC, CD
- 2399 Rear-Admiral William Moss Landymore OBE, CD, MID
- 4860 General Alfred John Gardyne Drummond de Chastelain OC, CMM, CD, CH
- 85 William J Stewart 1863-1925
- 2364 Air Commodore Leonard Joseph Birchall CM, OBE, DFC, O.Ont, CD 1915-2004
- 2791 Honorary Lieutenant-Colonel Jean P.W. Ostiguy OC, CD, LLD (Hon.) 1922-
- 1921 RCMP Commissioner George Brinton McClellan Jr, LL D (Hon)
- 2357 Brigadier-General William Denis Whitaker CM, DSO and Bar, ED, CD, DSc Mil (Hon)
- 2510 Brigadier-General Edward Alfred Charles “Ned” Amy DSO, OBE, MC, CD
- 4377 Lieutenant-General Richard (Rick) Joseph Evraire CMM, CD, BEng (Civil), BSc, MPA, DSc Mil (Hon)
- 101 Major John Laing Weller
- 1246 General Sir Charles Falkland Loewen, GCB, KBE, DSO
- 1866 Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Cecil Ingersoll Merritt, VC, ED 1908 – 2000
- 8833 Colonel Lennox John Leggat, CD, PhD
- 749 General, the Honourable Henry Duncan Graham Crerar CH, CB, DSO, CD, PC
- 13738 Colonel Chris Austin Hadfield, OC, OOnt, MSC, CD
- H2951 General Ramsey Muir Withers, CMM, CD, D Eng, D Mil Sc, P Eng
- 7860 Lieutenant-General, the Honourable Roméo Antonius Dallaire, OC, CMM, GOQ, MSC, CD
- H8829 Colonel, the Honorable George Francis Gillman Stanley, CC, CD, DPhil, FRSC, FRHSC (Hon)